I am looking for confirmations from other Drupal developers regarding details and corroborations. Comments are welcome here. PHBs need not worry, your Drupal site is just fine.
This post is about an inherent problem with Google’s recently announced “Speed-as-a-ranking-feature” and its problems with content-management systems like Drupal and Wordpress. For an auto-generated website, Google is often the first and only visitor to a lot of pages. Since Drupal spends a lot of time in the first render of the page, Google will likely see this delay. This is both due to a problem with how Drupal generates pages, and Google’s metric.
today we’re including a new signal in our search ranking algorithms: site speed. Site speed reflects how quickly a website responds to web requests.
Since Google’s nice enough to provide webmaster tools, I looked up how my site was doing, and got this disappointing set of numbers:
I’m aware 3 seconds is too long. Other Drupal folks have reported ~600ms averages. My current site does under 1s second on average based on my measurements. This is probably because I occasionally have some funky experiments going on in some parts of the site that run expensive queries. Still, some other results were surprising:
Investigating further, it looks like there are 3 problems:
DNS issues & Multiple CSS: Since Google Analytics is on a large number of websites, so I’m expecting their DNS to be prefetched. CSS is not an issue since the 2 files are client media specific(print / screen).
GZip Compression: Now this is very odd. I’m pretty sure I have gzip compression enabled in Drupal (Admin > Performance > Compression). Why is Google reporting lack of compression? To check, I ran some tests, and discovered that since Google usually sees the page before it’s cached, it’s getting a non-gzipped version. This happens due to the way Drupal’s cache behaves, and is fixable. Ordinarily, this is a small problem, since uncached pages are rendered for only the first visitor. But since Google is the first visitor to a majority of the pages in a less popular site, it thinks the entire site is uncompressed. I’ve started a bug report for the uncached page gzip problem.
A flawed metric: The other problem is that Drupal (and Wordpress etc) use a fry model ; pages are generated on the fly per request. On the other hand, Movable Type, etc., bake their pages beforehand, so anything served up doesn’t go through the CMS. Caching in fry-based systems is typically done on the first-render, i.e. the first visit to a page is generated from scratch and written to the database/filesystem, any successive visitor to that page will see a render from the cache.
Since the Googlebot is usually the first (and only) visitor to many pages in a small site, the average crawl would hit a large number of pages where Drupal is writing things to cache for the next visitor. This means every page Googlebot visits costs a write to the database. While afaik Drupal runs
page_set_cache after rendering the entire page and hence the user experience is snappy, I’m assuming Google counts time to connection close and not the closing </html> tag, resulting in a bad rendering time evaluation.
This means that Google’s Site Speed is not representative of the average user(i.e. second, third, fourth etc visitors that read from the cache), it only represents the absolute worst case situation for the website, which is hardly a fair metric. (Note that this is based on my speculation of what Site Speed means, based on the existing documentation.)