From the Wikipedia :
On October 9, 2009, U.S. President Barack Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize less than one year after his taking office (in fact, the nominations closed on February 1, about 11 days after Obama took office). While the committee praised his ambitious foreign policy agenda, it acknowledged that he had not yet actually achieved many of the goals that he had set out to accomplish. Former Polish President Lech Wałęsa, a 1983 Nobel Peace laureate, commented: “So soon? Too early. He has no contribution so far. He is still at an early stage. He is only beginning to act.”
This is pretty amazing news. My Facebook, News and IM streams are flooded with one-liners. I though I’d collect them all:
- “I too would like a Nobel Peace Prize for the thesis I am about to write in the future.” — me
- “it’s a pretty swell booby prize for losing out on the Olympics” – n.d.
- “Surely preventing Sarah Palin from taking over the free world deserves a prize… even if it is a Nobel?” — v.b.
- ““NASA bombs moon”; “Obama wins Nobel Prize” — is today Onion News Day?” — me
- “Barack Obama linked to terrorist Yasser Arafat” — fark via a.a.
- “The Nobel? Really? I mean, cool…but it seems like we have our cart on the wrong side of the horse. Not that it isn’t a very nice cart.” — c.m.
- “…thinks they might as well have given him the Nobel Prize for Literature, Chemistry (we’ve all seen the shirtless photos), Physics and Economics as well. Oh and made him a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath” — r.d.
- “Nobel Committee Rewards Obama For Not Being Bush” — f.n.
- “I just want to point out that the Nobel Committee made its decision BEFORE Miley Cyrus quit Twitter.” — j.h.
- “Obama will win a second Nobel next year if he can restrain himself from reacting to the snark generated by this one.” — m.w.
- “Pretty sure Obama will just trade in his Nobel for a Google Wave invite.” — t.b.
- “The news of Obama’s Nobel Peace Prize spreads. Across the miles I can almost HEAR my dad’s eyes rolling.” — p.g.
- “Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize? About time Rakhi Sawant wins an Oscar, then.” — s
- “If you don’t think Obama deserves that Nobel, then you’ve never seen Sasha and Malia fight.” — a.e.
- “Apparently Arizona State has a higher standard than the Nobel Committee. Good thing I never tried to apply there.” — r.m.
- Business Insider has some more.