New Job: I’ve meant to write so, so many blog posts about this, but this job is intense enough that there’s been absolutely no time to catalog it. Short version of the story: Landed on a new island, on track to building my little empire.
- Columbus, OH — Very pleasantly surprised by how nice this city is. The cultural scene is impressive, the area is flat and great for biking and running, and Ohio State is immense and brimming with possibilities.
Conferences, Panels, Random Life Things:
- Washington, D.C. — I’d never been to DC ever before, but this year I ended up visiting D.C. thrice, for all sorts of reasons.
- Istanbul, Turkey — VLDB 2012. What a wonderful city. Spending an afternoon ferrying back and forth between Europe and Asia is pretty awesome.
- Ann Arbor, MI — hard to not drive here a few times. It’s good to be able to visit and participate in panels as “Distinguished Alumni”.
- Atlanta, GA — visiting a friend at the very impressive Shepherd Center. Sadly, didn’t get to actually spend a lot of time touring the place. Seemed like a warm and welcoming city though. Some other time, maybe.
- Pittsburgh, PA — Visited Carnegie Mellon. Very pretty campus. The drive from Columbus is very pleasant too.
- New York City, NY — The Big Apple is always fun and full of energy. Discovery this time: Tangra Asian Fusion, inspired by the Chinese immigrant region of Tangra in Kolkata.
- Rekjavik, Iceland — “Surreal” is a good word to use here. So amazing.
8 Cities, 3 continents. Not quite the count for 2011, but then again, a lot more going on. Looking forward to 2013!